Monday, February 11, 2019

One missed call

It was the time when I had recently graduated and was preparing for my master's degree entrance examinations.
It was april if I remember it correctly, and was having my lunch that day. My phone was on charging and was kept on silent.
I came back to take my phone and there were a few missed calls, one from my sister, and the other from an un-known number
I called back to my sister and talked for about 15 min. And when I disconnected the call, I saw another missed call from the same number. I knew that it must be tashu or abhishek my coll. Mates who had the uncanny habit of calling people from unknown numbers just to play pranks so I ignored it and went back about my business.
The phone once again rang and this time I picked up and to my pleasant surprise it was a girl, and asked me to give the phone to some girl named nancy. I told her that she might have been mistaken in dialing the number as this was my number and I don't know anyone named nancy (apart form the one in my coll.)
She apologized and disconnected the call at once and I had a smile on my face, I had heard of such incidences where people had dialed a wrong number but never received one in my life and that too with such sweet voice.
But ignoring it i resumed my work.
A few days later there came another missed call from the same number, I ignored it this time and a few minutes later there was a call from it. I picked up the call and there was the sweet voice but this time it didn't ask for  Nancy, it asked my name. I was a bit surprised as to why this girl wanted to know my name. I asked her why she wanted to know. She said nothing and disconnected the call.
It was a bit queer, and i thought, can this be tashu's another prank asking some randon friend of his to talk to me and make fun of infront of everyone. This is how tashu the great  works. Quite sure, I called back at the number to confront the person. But no one picked the call. I called again and same was the result, no answer.
I thought calling tashu would be no good as he would deny this act, so I waited for another call or a missed call at least, but for a month no call came from the number. And I forgot about it.
But approx. 2 months later I got another call from the same number, as I picked the call she asked me my name again, I told her to tell tashu that his game is over and I know he is the one behind all these calls. She must have smiled at this as I could hear the tone of her voice when she said she doesn't know anyone by that name and told me her name
"Priya". I asked her where did se get my number from, but as soon as I finished my sentence she disconnected again. I felt something strange and called back to the number,
This time she picked up but said nothing.
There was complete silence on that side, i knew it had to be me to break that strangeness, so "hi", said I,
This was a bit awkward as I had never talked like this to anyone in my life, then came the answer "hello".
This time my heart throbbed, I asked her why did she call me. There was no answer.
I was curious to know things about her, but most importantly, I  longed to hear that sweet voice once again.
I changed the topic and asked her what does she do, thinking she may answer and would listen to that heart throbbing voice again. But no answer.
I told her if she didn't want to talk then she should disconnect the phone. I know that I could have done the same but I just could not and neither did she.
The silence grew stronger and stronger, nobody had anything to say, just the sounds in the background and the beating of my heart.

Still no answer.
Suddenly she disconnected the phone, I waited for the missed call again but there was none.
Why did she disconnect, why did she call at first, who was she? These questions were troubling me.
I know I could have called but I didn't, not knowing what she would think about me.....

No comments:

Post a Comment