Wednesday, October 4, 2023

Delhi to London (Part -1)

I had recently graduated from university of Delhi with a degree in English literature, and I had already applied for a Master's degree in King's college London - Faculty of arts and humanities. I was sure of getting admission in one of the prestigious university.
The day came that I was eagerly waiting for, I had an email from the university accepting my candidature and now I can go there to study.
I had already got my visa and tickets ready, I was just about to go to the market to buy new clothes, my father asked me not to, as I should not carry so much luggage with me, I can buy the stuff there In London. He told me my cousin Shweta will help me settle down there and she would be my guardian.
Still I took my father's card and went to my best buddy Lalit, we went to the market and bought some stuff that I wouldn't find in London so soon. 

On the day of the flight, lalit and Sonam surprised me as they came to see me off, we all went to the IGI Airport, the flight was right time and I had to go in, my father embraced me in his arms as this was the first time I was going away for such a long time. Lalit and Sonam wished me well as I went in.

In the airport after all the security checks, the luggage and all the formalities I sat near the gate  from where I had to board the plane, I could see alot of youngsters just like me who were there, may be they too were going there to study, Most of them with one elder, some with their father other with mother or some guardian. I sat there reading on my I pad what's there in London and which is a good Indian restaurant.
An announcement was made that the flight was delayed for 15 min, I was already anxious as it was my first time going all alone, and now the flight was delayed, but what could be done, we had to wait.
When the boarding time came I went and stood in the que, one by one people were checked and they were sent to the plane.
I had already booked my ticket in advance for the window seat, so if anyone asks me for my seat I would surely decline.
A girl came and looked at the seat numbers asked me if I would exchange the seats with her, she had the middle seat, i thought for a while on giving up my seat, but what about my resolution,  so i decided not to give my seat. She smiled and sat beside me.

It was a 10 hour non stop flight.

For half an hour I listened to music with my eyes closed, when I opened my eyes I could see the girl reading the magazine and writing something in her diary, I tried to take a peek.
She looked at me as I looked at her diary, I was embarrassed. She asked me if I was alone going to London.
I affirmed, and she told me that she too was going alone for the first time, she was to take admission in London school of economics.
I told her I was to take admission in King's college London,
We exchanged our names, her name was Nikita sahay, we started to chat then onwards, she was quite a chatterbox, she told me all about herself, about her schooling and graduation, her family and friends, what she wants to be in future, she even asked me occasional questions about me as well and I answered her truthfully.
She reminded me of one of the girls in one of the Indian movies, 'Geet- from Jab we met'. And as I smiled at this thought she asked me why, i told her honestly. She kept quiet for some time, i looked at her and told her it was a compliment. She faced me and told me she didn't like herself to be called her that, her friends and class fellows made fun of her with the same name, and mostly called her by this name.
I apologized to her for that and kept quiet.

For some time nobody spoke a word. 
I know she was dismayed at my comments.
But why was I feeling sad for her, i didn't know her, met her only a few hours ago, then why do I feel guilty of something. I felt sorry. 
Sensing sensitivity in the atmosphere i stared to calm her down, I told her about my two best buddies, lalit and Sonam, how they used to tease me with some different names, I too teased them the same way. I told her it was quite normal for friends to tease. But she kept quiet.

I couldn't say anymore, i sat there quietly, listening to the music, i thought why should I care for her she is a stranger to me we have only met a few hour before. 
But... But there was something that felt heavy on my chest that day. 
I looked towards her, her eyes were closed, i looked again at her, i felt somewhat attracted towards her. Well I don't know why i couldn't keep my eyes-off her.
She opened her eyes and looked at me starring at her. She said nothing and I looked away. 
No body said anything more till the landing.
After the landing, I picked my bags and went towards the exit. I saw her again there at the exit, as if waiting for someone.
I slowly waked towards the exit, she suddenly looked at me, I didn't know what to say, and what would she say, will she speak, or should I apologize again.
I thought it would be better not to look at her and walk straight, but my eyes betrayed be, as soon as I came near her i looked again at her, she was looking at me smiling, why was she smiling, i couldn't resist and went towards her.
She apologized to me for talking continuously and not thinking about me.
I told her it wasn't her fault, but I felt pleasure in hearing her story.
We bit farewell.

Shweta, my cousin, who was there waiting for me was observing the girl and me talking, as soon as I reached her she asked me who is the lucky girl. I told her she was a complete stranger who i knew everything about.
She smiled at me and we sat in her car. I told her the whole story what had happened on the plane. She just smiled and listened to everything.
At last she said one thing and laughed really hard
" Do u know both the collages are within a walking distance, you will meet her sooner or later, I hope she would be your first Girlfriend."
I too laughed with my cousin, thinking of all those possibilities that can happen..



Part 2 coming soon.....

3 comments:

  1. Is she your wife now? Vandana. BTW Bert well.written

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed the part one 😋 and waiting for them next one.

    ReplyDelete