Thursday, October 5, 2023

Delhi to London (Part 3)

I thought if this is the end to our friendship, at or around 11pm i messaged her
"Good night".
I crept into my bed. I started reading one of the novels, but I couldn't concentrate on reading, my mind kept on wondering, mostly about Nikita, what must have happened, why she didn't reply, this happend for an hour or so.
And I thought I should close the book and sleep.
I closed my eyes but still my mind wondered, but soon i slept.
I woke-up early that morning and took my phone to recharge. Saw that there was a single message.
As I opened the message I saw it was from her, Nikita, it read, 
" Good morning, sorry I went out with some friends for a dinner party and came back quite late, i thought you won't talk to me after I had sent so many massages and there wasn't a single reply. It's quite funny that you forgot your phone at home and didn't realise it sooner. Saw your messages quite late and didn't want to disturb your sleep so didn't reply at night. Hope we meet soon, will tell you about the party that I went to. Have a nice day"
Oh! I was afraid for nothing, and replied, "We can meet today if you want after my last lecture, 4pm around, if you are free. Good day to you too."
I went down after getting ready, I had plenty of time today to reach college.
After the breakfast I booked a cab to my college, my sister asked me about the studies, I had thought she would ask me about the girl as she had been asking me about her. I told her that I was doing good.
I looked at her hoping she would ask me about Nikita, but she said nothing.
My cab arrived, and i went to my college.
After the first lecture i received her message saying that her last lecture will be over by 5:30, and asked me if I could say.
I replied that I would wait for her in the same "Latte place" 
She approved.
After the lecture i went to the same shop and ordered a latte. I thought what should I do for an hour and half. There was nothing around.
I drank the beverage, and thought of messaging her when she would reach here.
But she had already told me that she would be free by 5:30, what's the point of messaging her before that, I thought.
Suddenly there was a tap on my shoulder, it was Nikita, I checked my phone it was 4:30. 
I asked her how is she here, didn't she have a lecture till 5:30.
She told me the lecture was cancelled. 
We talked about what had happened the previous day.
We laughed alot, she told me she thought that I would never talk to her as my sister must have asked me to do so.
She told me that she listened to some things that my sister said, and being afraid she would take the phone and talk to her, she disconnected.
I told her my didi is quite cool about everything and we need not worry, afterall we are just friends and we aren't doing anything that shouldn't be done.
I suddenly remembered what my didi had asked me to do.
I asked, " Would you like to come for lunch this Sunday to my house."
She hesitated a little and said she would decline as she doesn't wanna meet my sister and it would be quite awkward for her to be there.
I told her "It was my sister's idea to invite you for lunch, may be she wants to meet you."
Suddenly her face showed signs of worry, she said,"why does she want to meet me?"
I told her she just wanna meet my friend and she should not worry, she would be served with some delicious Indian food that she miss here, and i laughed.
She showed no signs of amusement, and kept on staring at me.
I told her she need not worry, It's just an informal meeting and she just wants to meet you.
After some discussion and persuasion she agreed.
I dropped her to her hostel, and went to my home.

At home I told my didi about the meeting today and told her that she has agreed to come this Sunday to the house. 
She asked me what she likes to eat, and her favourite items, as she would prepare the same.
I said, "I am really a fool, as I hadn't thought of that earlier"
Didi smiled and said, " Don't worry, you can ask her when you meet her the next time, it's only Wednesday, we have days to prepare."and then she laughed.
In the night I messaged her first this time.
"Wassup"
She replied, "Good, you tell."
I asked her what the most important question was.
"What's your favourite dish."
"Butter chicken, mutton curry, chicken biryani, baingan ka bharta, kadhi, ........", the list kept on going.
At that time I asked her if I could call her now.
She called me.
The first thing I said was, "Itni lambi list to naa hum bana paayenge Naa aap khaa paayoge," (these many dishes can neither be prepared by us, nor can be eaten by you).
She laughed and said, "Harr din k liye 1 rakh lenge." (One dish for each day.)
I too laughed, and suddenly stopped, knowing my sister in the other room may be listening to our conversation.
She has the habit of interrupting.
She said, " I'll have anything that you prepare." and asked me to thank didi for inviting her there.
We both talked about the day for some time and then disconnected the call.

Next three days I wasn't able to meet her, as we both were busy with our lectures and projects.
But we daily talked on phone during the night, I told her, I was eagerly waiting for Sunday.
She just laughed softly but said nothing.


Part 4... coming soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment